Thursday 21 August 2014

Letter from Perry to Dick

Ankit Ranjan
English 11
Mrs. Gray
19 August 2014
A Reminder and Criticism

Dear, Dick

I am writing this letter to inform you about my opinion towards you and what you have done at this current moment. My opinions on disobeying direct instructions from the righteous oracle at home (I mean planet Pathos not our earthly home) about not dying and my opinion on you accusing me of killing the whole family. By telling the KBI investigators of the killing you have jeopardized our lives and mission.
First of all, how could you cave in to mere humans, when you know that we are immensely more superior? You must have felt what these humans call feelings, in particular fear. I too have adapted to gain some feeling of fear and sympathy, especially toward children when you abuse them. In the Clutters house I felt sorry for them until I picked up the knife and realized we are not the same. On top of showing fear you blamed everything on me when you were there as well. I depended on you to not tell them anything, in fact, I thought that out of the two of us I would be the one to mistakenly leak information. By telling the truth I am now forced to tell them as well.
            If you remember, our mission from the righteous oracle on planet Pathos was to find out how earth functions, what could bring chaos and strike fear into humans and if the humans are more intelligent than us. With this information the dying planet Pathos could conquer earth and bring about a new age; imagine all the splendor, recognition and money we would receive. Gods are what we would be, but to bring this information back to Pathos we must be alive. As you know the penalty for murder is death. Our mission from the day we were born has failed, because of you we have failed in life.

~Perry

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ankit,

    I think you've taken a creative approach here, and it's not bad even though it takes the storyline pretty far from Capote's original novel. I think the tough thing about it is making is as believable as possible within the framework of the book, even if it's kind of far-fetched. You could do this by tying this idea of them being aliens in more directly with plot details from the book.

    I do like that you tied this into the question of whether the killers can feel remorse - I'd love to hear more on that subject, if you were to build on what you've already written.

    ReplyDelete